POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Regarding ^ operator and docs : Regarding ^ operator and docs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:29 EDT (-0400)
  Regarding ^ operator and docs
From: Slime
Date: 3 Jun 2002 02:56:30
Message: <3cfb131e@news.povray.org>
We had a discussion about this earlier, but it's so old that I wanted to
post this in a new thread so it wouldn't be overlooked; I hope that's ok.

We talked about precedence issues with the ^ operator. I accept whatever the
POV-Ray team chooses to do with that issue (i assume they'll leave it as
is); however, I was just looking in "6.1.3.3  Float Operators" and noticed
that it's not in there anywhere. There's a whole paragraph in there about
how POV-Ray treats some operator precedences differently than most other
languages do.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to add the ^ operator to this
section of the docs, and at the same time give a quick explanation of the
reason for its lower precedence than the unary - operator, maybe also
mentioning the unexpected behavior I ran across.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]